Our Blog

DIBP amends policy on Australian WHVs

The Department of Immigration and Border Protection have revised their extension policy for Working Holiday Visas (visa 417) to Australia.

Permission to work in Australia for the same employer beyond the standard six month period can be granted in the following circumstances:

Extension for Au pairs:

Those Au pairs who have worked with young children can be granted permission to continue for an additional six months with the same employer (one year in total).

Other situations where extensions may be granted:

1) Extension may be granted to those involved in disaster/national emergency recovery work, either in assistance to the event, or whose workplace is affected by the emergency.

2) Extension may be granted to WHV holders who have been granted compensation due to injuries in the working environment.

3) Those Working Holiday Visa holders who are waiting for the approval of onshore visas, such as subclass 457, 402, 820, 186 and 187 visas.


This is a unique website which will require a more modern browser to work! Please upgrade today!