Parent Visas for Australia

Family Migration Visas

Visas for Australia

See Also

What next?

If you want to apply for a Australia Visa or want to find out more information about emigrating to Australia, please either :

Call us on

0800 193 6900

or start online



Overseas Emigration Visas migration agents are registered with the Migration Agents Registration Authority (MARA) and members of the Migration Institute of Australia (MIA)


Parent Visas for Australia

Contributory Parent Visas


This visa is for parents who:

reside outside Australia

meet the balance of family test (i.e. who have at least half their children residing in Australia, or who have more children living in Australia than in any other country)

can be sponsored by a child who is settled in Australia as a citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen

meet the health and character requirements


The Contributory Parent Visa for Australia is split into two subclasses:


173 Temporary Contributory Parent Visa

An advantage to this visa is that it does not require an Assurance of Support, and the second visa application charge is just over half the second visa application charge payable for permanent contributory parent applications. However, it is only a temporary visa, valid for two years upon first entry, and can not be renewed or extended.


143 Migrant Contributory Parent Visa

In addition to the above requirements, applicants also need to have an assurer who lodges an Assurance of Support with Centrelink in Australia. The assurer does not have to be their sponsor, but must be an Australian citizen, permanent resident or an eligible New Zealand citizen. Once the applicants have had their Assurance of Support confirmed and have met the health and character requirements, they will be asked for the second visa application charge, a non-refundable payment due to the Department of Immigration and Citizenship (DIAC) before the visa can be granted.

This is a permanent visa valid for five years upon visa grant, allowing the applicants to reside indefinitely in Australia.


Aged Parent Visa – subclass 804

This visa is for aged parents who reside outside Australia and who meet the balance of family test (i.e. who have at least half their children residing in Australia, or who have more children living in Australia than in any other country).

In order to be eligible for an Aged Parent Visa, you must:

meet the age requirements found at

meet the health and character requirements

be able to get sponsored by a child who is a settled resident of Australia.

The second visa application charge for the Aged Parent Visa – subclass 804 type of application is much lower as it’s not a contributory class of visa, but you as a result can expect an approximate 15 year wait before visa grant consideration after being allocated a queue date.




Australia FAQ


How much money am I required to bring as landing money when I enter Australia for the first time?

You are not required to have any specific amount. To have a reasonably comfortable “settling in” experience the more the better.

We have loans and credit cards debts, will this affect our application for migration? What would happen if we leave these debts behind? Also will it affect our credit rating in Australia or cause any trouble getting a mortgage once we get there?

Your credit rating is not checked for your migration application so it will not affect you getting your visa. However it may affect your credit rating in Australia as some banks carry this over and may affect getting a mortgage. If the debt is large there is every reason to suspect that they will track you down – paying off a £ debt on an $AUD income can be hard.

Can you emigrate if you have previously been bankrupt?

Generally yes. Some serial bankrupt people could be knocked back under “character”. If you are going as a business person there would be a major, if not insurmountable, problem.

After the processing fee for the visa, what other costs would be there after receiving permanent residency through Skilled migration?

Medical & police clearance & postage should do it assuming you don’t have any language charges or bonds to pay.


My husband has had major surgery. Would this pose a problem on our medicals? Could it lead to visa refusal?

All medical matters are subject to many variables. Assuming your husband needs no further treatment and it is not envisioned that he will cost the Australian Health Community any money then there is a reasonable chance he will not be refused a visa.

If overweight will it affect the application to migrate to Australia?

Height to weight ratio can fail you if your condition may cause you to need excessive medical treatment once in Australia.

What are the criteria for detailing medical history, i.e. do I have to mention all past medical conditions even if they are no longer affecting me? What exactly do you need to mention, and what is classed as trivia?

There are specific questions on the medical form – to be answered yes or no. There is also a catch all question “anything else we should know” – minor colds etc are trivial – declare everything else.

I have heard that you will not be allowed to emigrate if you have a past history of a mental condition, not including depression. Is this true?

No this is not true. All medical conditions, including psychiatric, are judged on their individual merits.

Did you know?

The Skilled Occupation List (SOL) is a list of skilled occupations that deliver high value skills needed by the Australian economy.

This is a unique website which will require a more modern browser to work! Please upgrade today!