Temporary Work Visas for New Zealand

Visas for New Zealand

What next?

If you want to apply for a New Zealand Visa or want to find out more information about emigrating to New Zealand, please either :

Call us on

0800 193 6900

or start online


See Also

Overseas Emigration Visas migration agents are members of the NZAMI – the New Zealand Association for Migration and Investment.

Temporary Work Visas for New Zealand

Working Holiday Visa

This visa is an attractive option if you are under 30 and looking to travel and work in New Zealand for up to 12 months (up to 23 months if you are from the UK)

In order to apply for a working holiday visa, you must:

Have a passport that’s valid for at least 3 months after your planned departure from New Zealand

Be at least 18

Not bring children

Hold a return air ticket, or sufficient funds to purchase such a ticket

Not have previously been approved for a Working Holiday visa

Be coming to New Zealand to holiday, with work being the secondary intention for your visit


Essential Skills Work Visa

This temporary visa may be your best option if you already have a job offer from a New Zealand employer. The Essential Skills visa is designed to allow employers to source foreign workers should they fail to find appropriate candidates from the local workforce. The visa allows a stay in New Zealand for up to three years.

This visa is ideal if you:

You have a job offer

You prefer to work in New Zealand on a temporary basis

Your skills/experience are needed as demonstrated by your employer’s search to fill the position, and/or its listing on the Immediate or Long Term Skills Shortage List and you meet the requirements set out on one of the lists.

Visas are usually granted for a minimum of twelve months up to a maximum of three years. The visa can be renewed if the employer agrees.


Silver Fern Visa

The Silver Fern Visa category has been designed to make it easier for young skilled people to immigrate to New Zealand without a huge amount of experience; instead they can gain that experience upon their arrival in the country.

The Silver Fern policy consists of two sub-policies: the Job Search policy and the Practical Experience policy. Together, these components offer a two-stage pathway to residence.


Silver Fern Job Search

The Silver Fern Job Search visa will allow applicants to enter New Zealand for nine months while they seek skilled employment. Places are limited to 300 per year.


Silver Fern Practical Experience

If applicants have been successful in obtaining a Silver Fern Job Search visa, and they successfully find skilled employment in New Zealand within the required nine months, then they may apply for a Silver Fern Practical Experience visa/permit. This will allow them to remain in that employment for two years.

In order to make an application for the initial Silver Fern Job Search visa, applicants must:

Be aged between 20 and 35 years.

Make the application using the online system set up for this purpose.

Be outside of New Zealand at the time of lodgement.

Have a recognised qualification which is either a:

– bachelor degree or higher

– trade qualification and a minimum of two years’ work experience in that trade

Be able to meet English Language requirements.

Have funds available to support their stay in New Zealand

Apply Today

Working Holiday Visa

To read more and apply for a New Zealand Working Holiday Visa, please

Click Here

New Zealand FAQ

Once we recieve our permanent residency to Australia are we able to move to New Zealand? Or would we have to apply all over again as we have had to with the visas to Australia?

NZ will accept an Australian Permanent Resident as a Permanent Resident.

I have a police record in the UK. How will this affect my visa application for permanent residency in Australia or New Zealand? How many years is the record kept in the PNC? Up to how many years old can it be before I don’t have to declare it?

All offences recorded on your police record will never leave the PNC. For UK employment you don’t have to declare it after 10 years. For international immigration you have to declare it always. It never becomes “spent”. In most cases minor offences will not have a detrimental effect on your application for permanent residency, but it will depend on how long ago the offence was committed and the severity of the punishment. More severe cases i.e. offences where you were sentenced to time in prison, may cause problems for your application. This will again depend on the length of time since the offence and the length of time spent in prison. If this is the case for you would definitely benefit from the services of a registered agent who has had experience in dealing with criminal matters.

If my application is refused, how soon will I be informed?

You will be informed within a week of the decision.

How do I know if I am eligible to apply for permanent immigration?

The easiest and fastest way for you to find out if you are eligible is to fill out our free online assessment and let our registered agents do all the work for you. All the assessments we recieve are looked over by qualified agents who will make a preliminary assessment based on the information you provide and contact you to discuss your options.

What if my situation changes after I have lodged my application? Do I need to tell anyone?

Definitely, any changes should be communicated to the department. If not you may put your application at serious risk since the details it is being process on are no longer accurate. If the change is a major one you can apply to have your application put on hold if you wish.

This is a unique website which will require a more modern browser to work! Please upgrade today!