Child Visas For Australia

If your child was not included in your original visa application, they will need their own child visa for Australia. You can apply onshore or offshore. The current fee is A$ 2,370 and processing times are typically quite quick. A Child Visa allows a parent to sponsor their child/children to join them in Australia, and makes it possible for them to travel to and live indefinitely there. When applying for a permanent or temporary visa to Australia, children of applicants are almost always included in the application. However, there are exceptions where children may be added after a visa application or grant. These include unborn children (where the visa applicant becomes pregnant during or after the application process or visa grant), children of permanent or temporary residents who are born outside of Australia and were not previously included on a visa application. A child, who was not on the original visa application, and who is born outside of Australia to parents who are permanent residents does not automatically acquire Australian citizenship and will need to apply for permanent residence to be able to enter Australia with their parents. The child/children will also be required to meet the health requirements as well as character requirements if the child is over 16 years of age. However, children born in Australia to a parent who is an Australian citizen or permanent resident at the time of the child’s birth, will automatically acquire Australian citizenship. Similarly, children who are born outside of Australia to Australian citizens or citizens by descent can also apply for Australian citizenship.

Who can sponsor a child?

A child can be sponsored by an Australian citizen, permanent resident or eligible New Zealand citizen. In order for the sponsorship to be legal, the child must be a natural/biological child, or an adopted or step child, or a child conceived through artificial conception or under surrogacy arrangements (where there has been official court order approval). Adopted children can apply for either a Child visa or an Adoption Visa - depending on when the parent/s became permanent residents or Australian citizens.

Who is eligible under the Child Visa?

All children up to 18 years of age of an Australian citizen, permanent resident, eligible New Zealand resident, and who were not previously included on the original visa application, may be sponsored on a Child Visa. Children who are between 18 and 25 years may also be sponsored but are subject to the following conditions: - That they have not yet turned 25 years of age - That they are fully financially dependent on the sponsoring parent/s - That they prove they are in full-time education - That they are not married, engaged or in a de facto relationship nor do they have dependent children themselves. - That they meet health and character requirements There are some exceptions to these rules, including where a child over the age of 18 has a disability and is unable to work.  

Having a baby during or after a visa application – some common questions.

What happens if I become pregnant during my visa application?

If you becomes pregnant before the lodgement of a permanent or temporary visa, evidence needs to be provided, such as a letter from a doctor or midwife showing expected birth date. Applicants may request for the visa application to be put on hold until the baby is born. This also avoids the issue of the mother having an x ray whilst pregnant. Once the baby is born, the passport and birth certificate will be submitted with the other family members as well as completing medical requirements.

What if my visa has been granted and I become pregnant, but have not left the UK yet?

If you become pregnant and you have already completed the medical requirements for the visa application and a visa has been granted, you must ensure that you activate your visa before expiry of the activation date as the initial entry date to Australia cannot be changed. Check with your doctor or midwife that you are allowed to fly! Generally speaking it is not advised to fly after 36 weeks of pregnancy and some airlines have restrictions for women in their third trimester.

What if I have already activated my visa for permanent residency and returned to the UK. Should I stay in the UK to have my baby?

Alternatively, if you have already activated your visa, but you returned to the UK to have your baby, or become pregnant on your return to the UK, you have the choice to return to Australia to have your baby, or remain in the UK for the birth. If your baby is born in Australia, they will automatically become an Australian citizen (they can also get British citizenship too). If your baby is born in the UK, you will need to apply for a Child Visa. You can do this from the UK – and current processing times can be quite quick. Whichever decision you make, you will need to weigh up the issues of health, cost and where you wish your child to be born. It’s worth bearing in mind that all applications for sponsored children born outside of Australia to non-Australian citizens will incur costs and be subject to medical and character (if over the age of 16) requirements.

If your child is over 18 and wants to join you

You can sponsor your child to Australia, as long as you can provide proof that they are financially dependent on you and are not working. If they are students, you will need to show that you pay maintenance and/or university fees. Your child cannot be married, engaged or in a de facto relationship for this purpose. Your child must be sponsored before they reach their 25th birthday. They will need to make a valid application for residence and meet health and character requirements.

Parental permission for under 18s

You must have consent from the other parent before your child can join you in Australia, if they are under 18 years of age. They will need to make a valid application and meet health and character requirements. Australia takes the care and custody of children under the age of 18 very seriously and all children do require the permission of both parents to apply for a Child Visa. If consent is forthcoming this can easily be done by using Form 1229, otherwise a Court Order may well be required. Applying for a Child Visa can be fairly simple, depending on your personal circumstances. It’s always advisable to get professional advice and guidance if your situation is not so straightforward. This article originally appeared in Australia & New Zealand Magazine

What next? Take the next step ...

Call us on: 0131 625 6900, or complete our Free Assessment form, click below ...

Complete Our Free Assessment Online Today

What Our Clients Say

  • Thank you so so much and everybody at OE for everything. We are over the moon! We are all in shock and there are tears! Thank you again.
    – Warren Baldwin-Jones, Canada
  • Now that I have scraped myself off the ceiling following the exciting news regarding my VISA grant I received on Friday, I just wanted to pass on my thanks for your part in making all of this possible. A number of years ago I had a phone consultation with another company (didn’t know about OE at the time) and came away disheartened as there thoughts on my success at this was far from favourable. Yet on conversation with Laurence he stated to me that I could get a visa without state sponsorship and it would take 7 months and that I should be wary of the IELTS test. If I have my dates correct it took about 9 months but would have been 7 were it not for the IELTS test! Again, your patience support and effort were greatly appreciated and I have passed on this experience to a number of friends who are also thinking of making the move and that they should use OE.
    – Graeme and family, Australia
  • They explained each process of the application and kept us up-to-date on what was happening at each stage; telling us when we needed to be doing things and in what order – they made the whole process very straight forward.

    Real Life Melbourne Magazine Feature (PDF 965KB)
    – The Colberts, Melbourne, Australia
  • Currently we have been staying in Thailand since before Christmas and in 5 weeks we travel to Australia to arrive at the same time as our personal effects. We can’t wait! Again – many thanks to everyone for everything!
    – Maxine Warhurst & Family, Australia
  • Our emigration to Australia is going great so far thanks. Thank you for all your help.
    – Lynn McBride & Family, Australia
  • Thank you so much to all at OE, yourself and Lawrence can you send the gratitude to Mark too, it is only just becoming real, we are so pleased.
    – Christopher Barber & Jayne Harris, New Zealand
  • All going well. Thank you, after all the work that was put in from your office with regards our emigration we cannot thank you enough, again many thanks for everything!
    – Michael Coombes, Australia
  • Things are working out really well for us in NZ and I am more than happy for my comments to be posted on your website, I meant what I said regarding my positive view of your company and I would like people to know. There are so many companies offering the same kind of service, it’s hard to know who to trust and we had OE recommended by a friend and I would recommend to anyone without a second thought.
    – Sam Whittam, New Zealand
  • We’ll keep you updated about how we get on but for now Lin and I would like to sincerely thank you, Richard, Magda and everyone else at OE who have made the process of getting our visas so straightforward for us. You are all so professional and we have felt at every stage that we are in the best hands possible. Your customer service is truly outstanding!
    – Scott McKenzie, Australia
  • Thank you, thank you, thank you. I am so pleased and there have been a few tears this morning, including my family. Phew! Superbly professional.
    – Karen Johnson, Canada
  • We have arrived in Brisbane safely, goods and all!! Been here since September and loving it so far. Thankfully our house was not damaged in anyway by the floods, although we have been involved in Volunteering to help clean up after the floods (that was an experience!). Thanks again.
    – Elaine, Kevin and Kim Lawrence, Brisbane, Australia
  • We have all settled in well in Oz. We have now been here a year and loving it. Thanks.
    – Simon & Gillian Vamplew, Australia
  • Currently we have been staying in Thailand since before Christmas and in 5 weeks we travel to Australia to arrive at the same time as our personal effects. We can’t wait! Again – many thanks to everyone for everything!
    – Maxine Warhurst & Family, Australia
  • Thanks so much for all of your help and support with my application. Everyone there has been so responsive every time we’ve contacted you, it really does make a difference. I should refer our estate agent back in Edinburgh to you for some tips on customer communication! And we certainly would recommend to anyone thinking of making the move to contact the team at OE.
    – James Cooke, New Zealand

© 2021 Overseas Emigration Visas, Edinburgh. Privacy Policy | Cookie Policy