Home /  Emigration News /  Australian Family Visa Sponsorship – Emigrating to Australia

Australian Family Visa Sponsorship – Emigrating to Australia

by | Apr 20, 2019

Are trying to find out more about Australian Family Visa Sponsorship? If you want to emigrate to Australia permanently, you may need to get sponsorship from a relative. They in turn must be eligible to provide such sponsorship for a family visa. So who qualifies to sponsor for a family visa?

Your family sponsor must qualify as per the below in order to be eligible:

  • an Australian citizen
  • an Australian permanent resident, or
  • an eligible New Zealand citizen
  • a migrant on a relevant employer sponsored visa

Australian Family Visa Sponsorship – Need to know facts

Any of your relatives can sponsor your visa to Australia, and that includes:

  • your child
  • a parent
  • a brother or sister
  • a grandparent
  • a grandchild
  • an aunt or uncle
  • a niece or nephew, or
  • a step relative of the same degree

There are different visa categories you can migrate under, and these are Aged Dependent Relative Category, Remaining Relative Category, and Carer Category. All of these will be explained below.

Aged Dependent Relative Category

You can apply under this category if you are an aged person who is financially dependent on the person sponsoring your visa. This visa category also applies if the people sponsoring your visa are the only remaining relatives you have and you want to be with them or live near them.

If you fit the description, there are additional criteria you must match in order to be eligible. You can either be single, widowed, or divorced to apply for the Aged Dependent Relative Visa.

Remaining Relative Category

This visa allows you to settle permanently in Australia if your only near relatives are living there. To be eligible for this visa, your relatives or that of your partner should be the only near relatives you have. In addition, they should be able to provide an assurance of support.

A near relative refers to a parent or the parent of a partner, be it biological or a step-parent. It can also refer to a brother, sister, step-brother, or step-sister. A child or step-child can also sponsor your visa provided they have turned 18 years old and is not a dependent. A child or step-child who hasn’t turned 18 can also sponsor your visa provided they are not in the daily care and control of you or your partner.

To be eligible for the Remaining Relative Visa, you must also prove you meet health and character requirements. This means arranging for a health examination and providing a police certificate.

Carer Category

If you have a relative in Australia who needs continual support due to a physical, intellectual, or sensory impairment, then you can apply under this visa category. Your relative can either have a long-term medical condition that prevents them from looking after themselves. You can also apply for the Carer Visa to look after a family member of a relative who needs permanent or long-term practical support, but they need to live in the same house.

To be eligible for this visa, you have to be willing to provide the help or care needed by your relative. At the same time, your relative should also be assessed as needing care or not being able to get the needed care from another source in Australia.

You also need to meet certain health and character requirements to be eligible for the Carer Visa (subclass 166).

What next? Take the next step ...

Call us on: +44 (0) 131 625 6900,
or complete one of our Free Assessment forms ...

What Our Clients Say

We have all settled in well in Oz. We have now been here a year and loving it. Thanks.
– Simon & Gillian Vamplew, Australia