NEWS FLASH: Australian Government Announces Changes To Skilled Migration
The Australian Government has announced today that there are changes to visa eligibility criteria for skilled migrants. This will take immediate effect from 19th April 2017.
The Skilled Occupations List (SOL) is being replaced by the Medium and Long term Strategic Skills List (MLTSSL)
The Consolidated Skills Occupation List is being replaced by the Short Term Skilled Occupation List (STSOL). 200 occupations have been removed for the time being from CSOL in creating STSOL. There is no separate STSOL list on the DIBP website as visa programmes that utilise this list can also access some additional occupations on the MLTSSL. For ease of reference, we have combined both the STSOL and the eligible MLTSSL occupations together. See: Combined list of eligible skilled occupations.
You must nominate an occupation on this Combined list of eligible skilled occupations if you are applying for any of the below:
- Employer Nominated Scheme (subclass 186) – Direct Entry Stream
- Skilled Nominated visa (subclass 190)
- Skilled Regional (Provisional) visa (subclass 489) – if nominated by a State or Territory Government
- Temporary Work (Skilled) visa (subclass 457)
- Training visa (subclass 407)
Please refer to the Department of Immigration for the list of occupations which have been removed here
State sponsored lists from the (Combined list of eligible skilled occupations) have yet to be announced.
The Australian Government also announced the abolition of the 457 visa. However, this will be replaced with two new visa streams:
- Short Term – a two-year visa stream with a list of occupations which will be reduced by 200 occupations with no path to future permanent residency
- Medium Term: a four-year visa for higher skilled and strategic jobs with significant new restrictions and a much reduced occupation list.
These new rules will not affect current 457 visa holders and it is expected that the new restrictions will come into effect after 1st July 2017 to allow time for transition.
For more information please check here
Need more information on skilled migration to Australia? Contact our Registered Migration Agents today at email@example.com or call 0800 193 6900 or 0131 625 6900